It’s about that time again when everyone is making their New Year’s resolutions – vowing to get fit and healthy or to spend more time with loved ones. But what about your home? It needs some TLC too, so why not set some resolutions for it?
Sound good? Well here are our picks for home New Year resolutions and how you can accomplish them:
After Christmas is always the perfect time to have a clear out, especially if you have kids. I bet you could do with that extra space for all their new Christmas gifts and toys! It is also a good thing to do every six months or so, as it gives you a fresh perspective and can make you feel better about your home. Check out our declutter flowchart if you are in need of some help!
2. Shrink your bills and curb your energy use
Who doesn’t want to save money and help the enviroment at the same time? Here are some quick ways to reduce bills and energy use:
- Reduce water usage by turning off the tap while brushing your teeth, having a shower instead of a bath, and only washing your car when it really needs it.
- Encourage the family to turn off the lights whenever they leave a room.
- Replace all the bulbs in your home with energy-efficient ones.
- Switch off all electrical equipment after use and unplug things like laptop and phone chargers as they are still using energy.
- Be sure to draught proof windows and doors which may be losing heat. Make sure all windows and doors are closed to keep in the warmth when the heating is switched on.
- Make sure you get your boiler serviced regularly, as a poorly maintained boiler can increase heating costs by 30% or more.
Great, now your house is clutter-free and looks so much better for it. But is your home safe and secure? This is probably one of the most important things you can do for your home and your family. Have you created a fire escape plan? Have you checked your carbon monoxide levels lately? Do all your windows and doors lock properly? These are just a handful of the things you should be doing, so, to make sure you have everything covered, check out two of our previous posts on this topic: ‘Eight ways to secure your family in your new home’ and ‘Tips to make sure your new home is safe for your children’.
The New Year is a great time for a change and the perfect opportunity for that redecorating project you always said would get done. This year, why not focus your efforts on creating a bedroom that your kids will be proud of and will be the envy of their friends? Get the children to help, too, and unleash their inner creativity. Here are some tips on how you can make their bedroom a place of creativity and fun!
5. Keep your house spick and span
To help keep a tidy and healthy home, try setting up a weekly cleaning and cooking rota for the whole family. This will ensure everyone pulls their weight, as they will all have allocated tasks and chores. It is good to get the kids involved too, so these do not come as a shock to them when they eventually fly the nest.